Sunday, May 16, 2010

Simplicity 2497 - Sort Of

We had a formal dance this weekend, so I decided to make a dress. I used red dupioni silk and I really liked how easy it was to work with.

I used Simplicity pattern 2497 with a few alterations. When making the muslin I felt like the dress ran large and baggy, so I made sure to make a smaller size than I normally would. Also, I really did not like the look of the collar from the original pattern (it seemed a little clown-ish) Instead, using the original collar pattern I cut about 3 inches off each end, then folded it lengthwise and gathered it. Instead of the bodice facing used in the original pattern I made two of the bodice and lined the entire bodice. This allowed me to insert the collar ruffle in between the two layers of bodice.